Pra Inglês Ver

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

So my good friend Per-Christian at gaaak.com asks the good question what would I choose? Well a desert island disc is a tricky one isn't it, one album to listen to.....forever! But the real meaning of the question is what is, in your opinion, the best album ever made, or what is your favourite album?
So you could choose one of the all time greats, say " Let it Bleed", "Tago-Mago", "In a silent Way", "For Your Pleasure", 3rd Velvets and a long etc. But if the text was for publication in a book like the one mentioned below, you could use the opportunity to talk a about a personal cult favourite, something probably unknown by the majority of the readers, and attach a personal story to it and thus creating a much more involving text.

So mine would be ....




errr...what? I hear you say. No believe me this is a great album. Very noisy and very psychedelic. And it was, believe it or not, so righteously resurrected just last week in an article in stylus magazine by kentish man/man of kent ( I never know which) Ian Shelley. So why would I choose this? Well it came out at the tail end of the eighties and the production by rudy from AR Kane really is studio as instrument stuff, Can-like at times and definitely pre-dates the post-rock sound. I frequently used to dj the groovy final track "pony boy" in barcelona and it rocked the house.
But my text would talk about my time in London in the East end, where the band were based - russell anyway - and doing shows with them, showing slides and super-8 films as their backdrop and what a riot that was. And also the other bands hanging around in that area, Find me a priest, Tab Hunter all-stars, Snap -Cabinet, Hank and Leej's xmas pub band who I can't remember the name of etc. There definitely was a lot of creativity around but none of it very serious at all. It would make for an interesting text to say the least, and perhaps something I will one day go into detail here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right - totally unknown. Sounds cool though - great cover! In the spirit of avoiding usual suspects (Black Saint & Sinner Lady, Easter Everywhere, VU & Nico, Scott 4, Neu!, You Can't Hide Your Love Forever etc.), mine would probaby be 1980's awesome "Materialtretthet" by Norwegian post-punk band The Aller Værste. Well known in Norway, not so much elsewhere. (The comparison with Madness is rubbish btw).

12:43 PM  
Blogger Andy C said...

yeah the cheesecake cover seems to be a take on a more twisted blue note.
sounds cool The Aller Værste, obviously the tip of a norwegian post punk iceberg.... you should put your own compilation out!
Nor Wave

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More of an icecube than iceberg I think... Maybe I'm being revisionist, or maybe my memory's gone to pot, but I can only recall 2 or 3 other halfway decent Norwegian post-punk combos. Small country. Loads of (throwaway) punk bands at the time though.

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home